Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Heroine's Mask


My current project is conceptually concerned with the image and idea of the female protagonist's journey. It is a broad term and a journey is neither short or long. It could also exist in an emotional sense but also in the physical etc. I am interested in dividing the lone female/female protagonist entity into three parts to represent three different 'versions' if you like. In one aspect, this central figure is any young woman whose existence is suppressed - particularly in the sense of her body being like a vessel, commodity or battleground. The other interpretations I am looking at refer to the hollow heroine of nonfictional texts (especially pre 1960s youth fiction/novellas) and the character that is a self-reflection of my own traits and identity as an artist.

Anyway whilst I've been working on these ideas, other little tangent concepts have been branching out here and there. One of the visual motifs I have become preoccupied with is the facial disguise and mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment